- UK’s Daily Star reported that according to IOM’s World Migration Report 2015, mass immigration is creating ghettos in major cities. It quoted IOM’s June Lee. World Economic Forum also ran an article on the findings of the report.
- The Guardian, International Business Times, Sputnik and AFP reported that the Greek coast guard rescued 242 people off the island of Lesbos after the wooden boat they were travelling in capsized, leaving at least three people dead. They cited IOM estimates.
- Al Jazeera reported the story of novelist Sulaiman Addonia. He spent his early life in a refugee camp in Sudan, lived in Saudi Arabia in his teens, and arrived in the UK in 1990 as a child immigrant. The article cited IOM figures.
- Thomson Reuters reported that WHO is launching a campaign to vaccinate 255,000 people against cholera in Iraq over the next month. It cited IOM figures that over three million Iraqis are displaced in the country, which is hosting 249,000 Syrian refugees.
- National Geographic reported that residents of a tiny Slovenian town are welcoming migrants, but have mixed emotions as tens of thousands flood into local roads and fields. It cited IOM figures.
- Irish Times reported that the European Commission says it was not informed by Austria of plans to build a border fence with Slovenia – another EU member state. It cited IOM estimates.
- Switzerland’s RTS interviewed IOM’s Dina Ionesco for a programme about migration and climate change.
Trending on the Internet
- Daily Mail reported the president of the Czech Republic assertion that migrants are “using children as human shields for men with iPhones’ to justify arriving in Europe.
- Mail Online featured migrants pictures of the sons, daughters, possessions and memories they have abandoned in order to reach Europe.
Quote of the Day
"The multicultural character of society today… calls us to deepen and strengthen the values needed to guarantee peaceful coexistence between persons and cultures”- Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, Permanent Observer of the Holy See to the UN, quoting Pope Francis during the Conference on Migrants and Cities. More here
For the latest Mediterranean Update data on arrivals and fatalities please visit: http://missingmigrants.iom.int