- Reuters reported that according to the Libyan Red Crescent, 40 bodies were found on its coastline near the ports of Zlit and Khoms. It quoted IOM’s Joel Millman.
- AP reported that the bodies of two migrants were found on the Greek islands of Lesbos and Chios on Monday, after accidents aboard two boats bound for Europe. It cited IOM estimates.
- BBC reported that Europe will have another 100,000 spaces in refugee reception centres created under a deal agreed by European leaders at an emergency summit in Brussels. It cited IOM figures.
- WorldPost spoke with members of MSF’s team on the island of Kos about what motivated them to leave their homes and take care of others in a difficult situation. It cited IOM figures.
- India’s Livemint ran an opinion piece saying the Europe migrant and refugee crisis highlights how dominant industrial powers have singularly failed to live up to their promises and commitments on both political and economic fronts. It cited findings from IOM’s World Migration Report Migrants and Cities: New Partnerships to Manage Mobility.
- The New York Times reported that the intensity of the fighting in Syria is fueling increased desperation as a growing number of Syrians are fleeing to neighboring countries and, especially, to Europe. It cited IOM estimates.
- Al Monitor reported that responses to the migration crisis are becoming increasingly diverse as governments turn a blind eye to the Syrian refugee and other crises. It cited IOM estimates.
- Ghana’s Graphic Online reported that Ghana is urbanising rapidly, resulting in the concentration of the population in urban areas such as Accra, Kumasi and Sekondi/Takoradi. It cited IOM estimates and quoted IOM’s Daniel Kweku Sam.
Trending on the Internet
- Business Insider featured an animated map that shows how humans migrated across the globe through history, based on the work of anthropologists and paleontologists working on National Geographic's Genographic Project.
- In Pictures: The Telegraph published drone shots of migrants and refugees walking through the Balkans.